Race: Felt awful, then felt a bit better, didn't crash, and salvaged a tiny bit of pride.
Food: Quinoa w/ Rice Milk, walnuts & brown sugar at home, coconut macroon on the drive, 200 calories of superstarch during the race, burger and shake on drive home.
I'm not to happy with this race, and am ready to move on, so will give executive bullet point style.
- Single lap course, 22 miles, rolling, lots of fun. Long horrible climb at the end.
- Expected to be 10 min faster than my last race in 2012, based on last race, and how I've been feeling
- Able to move from front to back at start, and go into the dirt about 8th out of the 60ish people in my wave; that was the best that race went for me.
- Went backwards through the pack as if shot out of a canon
- Got dropped -- way dropped -- and seriously considered quitting in first mile.
- Settled into a rhythm, and just went to work passing folks for rest of the race.
- Finally felt okay at mile 12.
- Caught a lot of folks on the final climb where they walked and I grinded away in the granny gear.
- Some caught me on false flat headwind into the finish - I couldn't hold on.
- Finished 13th in my category.
On the plus side, my goal was to finish 10 min faster in 2012 in similar muddy conditions, and although I came up short, I was about 5 minutes faster.
Next dirt race: Boggs 8 hour on a 2 man team. Need to do better to not let my partner down!
- Mike Campbell